Ineligible for Individual Award
- In the mi'kmaq star what does the yellow center symbolize?
a) the yellow sun
b) the circle of hope
c) children's potential
d) circle of friends
- Is sweet grass important in mi'kmaq culture?
- How many colors are on the four directions?
- In the creation story, what was the suns name?
d) the great sun
- What color Mi'kmaqs on the four directions?
- What color is the Mi'kmaq warrior flag?
a) purple, black, white, pink
b) black, blue, pink, yellow
c) red, black, white, blue
d) red, black, white, blue
- Who was the first female chief of Listuguj?
a) Brenda Miller
b) Brenda Barnaby
c) Brenda Jerome
d) Brenda Isaac
- What is the Listuguj First Nation School called?
a) Listuguj High School
b) Listuguj Elementry
c) Alaqsite'w High
d) Alaqsite'w Gitpu School
- What does APTN stand for?
a) People together Network
b) Aborignal Peoples Televison Network
c) Animals pets turtles Network
d) A persons together Network
- If your from Listuguj what kind or Native are you?
- What are the four directions colors?
a) white, blue, green, purple
b) white, black, red, orange
c) yellow, blue, orange, black
d) white, black, yellow, red
- What do they say dream cathers catch?
b) bad dreams
c) Evil spirits
- When was the peace and friendship treaty made?
- In the Mi'kmaq legends what was the name of the first man created?
d) all the people at once
- Who is the chief of Listuguj?
a) Brenda Miller
b) Brian Isaac
c) Joe Barnaby
d) Allison Metallic
- What does the 8 point star that represents the four directions?
A)north,south,east and west
B)red,yellow,black and white
C)north east,south west
D)north east,south east
- What are the four colors?
- Who are the Mi'kmaq people?
A)people of eastern canada
B)people of western canada
C)people of southern canada
D)people of northern canada
- Did the Europeans surprise the Mi'kmaq?
D)i don't know
- In 1758 the war in North America was mostly over, although a peace was signed until?
- What does the word wumitk mean?
- What did the Mi'kmaq call themselves before the the arrival of European settlers?
- Who were the Mi'kmaq?
A)a group of Native Americans
B)a group of French
C)a group of Englishmen
D)a group of Europeans
- What was the most easiest home that could of been done?
- What was it like before the Europeans came?
Micmacs were studying stone tools, animals bones and other objects, they told stories of Mi'kmaq.
- What are the Mi'kmaq like today?
Mi'kmaq are the same as they were a long time ago.
- Where do the Mi'kmaq mostly have land?
- When did many Mi'kmaq leave the reserves?
- What does aqamaw mean?
- What does maskwi mean?
- Where was Dr. Daniel N Paul born?
B)a small log cabin
- What did the Mic Macs put on the ground inside their wigwams?
- In which season did the Micmacs make their canoes?
- The Micmac word gitpu means what?
- More than 600 Micmacs live in Newfoundland?
- Which Natives were the Micmacs enemy?
- Is it true the women were in charge and what they said goes?
- Was it true that the Mohawks enslaved the young Micmac males?
- Did the Micmacs fight back at one period of time against the Mohawks?
- How do you say bear in Micmac?
- In the Micmac Nation in Quebec, what is the percentage of people who speak their language?
- Sails were added during what period of time?
- What season was the maple sap gathered?
- What is the name in Micmac for Grand chief?
- By what year had the Micmacs grown so accustomed to the Europeans?
- When was the eighth district added on to the seven districts?
- Pick wich one of these goes from the 4 to the 1 in the society of the Micmacs.
A)local cheef,the grand chef,family extened,chef of the district
B)grand chef,chef of the district,local chef,family extened
C)local chef,family extened grand cheif,cheif of the district
D)family extened,cheif local,cheif of the district,grand cheif
- Do most of our young Micmacs speak their language?
- How many letters are in the Micmac alphabet?
- What color represents the Mi'kmaq Nation?
- Where did gaseous explosion erupt?
A) Pictou Country,Novia Scotia
D) Indian Island
- What word do they use describe the Native People?
- The Micmacs where the dominant tribe of what place?
- The grass dancing is originated from the micmac nation?
- Did the natives eat at restaurants back in the day?
- The Micmacs have guns before the Europeens came to there homeland.
- The Micmacs raided villages when they were mad?
- Was the pigeon feather secret to the Micmac people.
- How were the young Micmac people taught?
- The color white represent the Micmacs.
- What happened in 1850?
a) The Mi'gmaqs met the Europiens
b) The Mi'gmaq's population went down
c) The Mi'gmaqs invented tipis
d) A grand- cheif was born
- When did the Mi'gmaqs collect the sap from the trees?
- Who was Sagamore?
a) A counseler
b) A regular person
c) A grand Cheif
d) A Europien
- How many letters are not in the Mi'gmaq alphabet?
- When did the Mi'gmaqs reconized as Canadien Citizens?
- The Mi'gmaq population is about: 20 000, How many can write and speak Mi'gmaq?
a) One third
c) Only One tenth
- What does the red cross represent on the Mi'gmaq's state flag?
a) The feathers
b) Mi'gmaq Cheifs
c) The Elders
d) The four directions
- What does the eight point star( Mi'gmaq star) represent?
a) The directions ( North, South, East, West)
b) The Maritimes
c) The Animals
d) The feathers
- What does "kji' keptan" mean?
a) Grand Cheif
b) Treaty holder and counseler
c) Grand captain
- What is the Mi'gmaq's main colour?
- Where did the Mi'gmaqs come from?
- When did the hunting begin?
- How many peaple could fit inside a conical shaped wi'gwam?
- What were most of their legends about?
a) The animals
c)How the elders were in the past
d) Their future
- What did the Mi'gmaqs live in?
a) A Wigwam
b) A Tipi
c) A Tree
d) A Large house made of Mud
- What is a wigwam?
a) a woman's ceremonial headpiece
b) a woman's loosely fitting garment
c) another name for a teepee
d) a northeast dwelling
- What is the original meaning of Pow Wow?
a) a gathering
b) corn popping over a fire
c) a medicine person
d) the sound of a gun being shot
- What are the 2 primary colors of the Mi'gmaq flag?
a) Orange / Black
b) Green / Blue
c) Purple / Pink
d) Red / White
- How would the ancestors get acroos the river?
c) a canoe
d) the Titanic
- Which letter does not belong in the Mi'gmaq alphabet?
- What are the 4 primary colors associated with the 4 directions?
a) Red / Black / White / Yellow
b) Black / Green / Red / Yellow
c) Blue / Red / White / Black
d) White / Yellow / Green / Blue
- What did the Mi'gmaq use to make clothing?
a) animal skin
b) birch bark
- What kind of decorations did the Mi'gmaq use for baskets?
c) dyed porcupine quills
- Which of the following means Kespeg?
a) "my land"
b) "first land"
c) "no man's land"
d) "last land"
- What was wampum made of?
d) corn, beans and squash
- What kept the ancestors warm from the winter, while they slept?
c) sea weed
d) pine tree branches
- St. ________ is the patron saint of the Mi'gmaq.
a) St. Mary
b) St. Anne
c) St. Lauren
d) St. Jude
- What was wampum?
a) a warriors weapon
c) a delicious meal
d) a utensil to grind corn
- Who did the Mi'gmaq start trading with in 1519?
- The Mi'gmaq homeland was traditionally divided into how many hunting districts?
- It is believed by some that the interperetation of petroglyphs show that prior to the ________________colonization the Mi'gmaq Nation used a seven point star to represent their seven traditional land districts now known as the maritimes provinces.
d) Ancient colonization
- When was the birth of cheif Membertou?
- The Mi'qmag language, Mi'qmawi'simq is an _____________ language spoken by about 6000 indians in the Canadian Maritimes particulary Nova Scotia.
- Relations with outsiders grew more complex when the Mi'qmag became involved in the conflicts between...
a) The French and the English
b) The French and the Spanish
c) The Spanish and the English
d) The Chinese and the Spanish
- The Mi'qmag came under authority of the Canadian Government in...
- What does Kji'keptan mean in Nova Scotia?
d) Grand Council
- What are snowshoes?
a) shoes made out of snow
b) The latest Nike production
c) Rackets used on your feet to walk in deep snow
d) shoes that warm up your feet in the winter
- What is a Shaman?
a) A religious specalist
b) A shy man of the community
c) A male salmon which is not edible
d) A respected type of bird
- The Mi'qmag lived a bit too far ______ to be able to depend upon a aboriginal crops, they relied on the resources of the forest and the sea.
- When did the Mi'gmaqs use a canoe?
a) When they needed to cross the river
b)When they wanted to do a silent approach
c) To collect food and supplies
d) all of the above
- What type of feather is really respected by the Mi'gmaqs?
- How many things were signed for in the Mi'gmaq treaty?
- How many first Nations are there in Quebec?
b) twenty four
- What are the four colors that represent the different races?
a) blue- yellow-orange-green
- Who in Mi'gmaq legends was formed out of sand?
c) The sun
d) The beautiful flower
- What did they Indians use for transportation?
- Did they paint on their wigwams?
- What did they use to make a wigwam?
A)birchbark and wood
B)tree's and branche's
C)shirts and pants
D)shoes and socks
- What are the four micmac colors?
A)blue,pink,yellow and brown
B)yellow,black,red and blue
C)yellow, black,redand white
- How many days do they do the sun dance?
- What does the word "gitpu"meen in english?
- What designs are on the flag?
A)triangle,sqare and cercle
B)star,moon and sun
C)cross,star and moon
D)star,cercle and sqare
- What color is the micmac flag?
A) pink and blue
B)red and white
C)purple and black
D) silver and brown
- a great spirit fashioned an enchanting island and it is called?
- Was birchbark used for other varieties?
- What did the creater use to create the world?
- Who created Glooscap?
- Why do jimgle dress dancers dance?
A) in honor of the sick ones
B)in honor of the drum
C)bless the ground
D)honor of the great spirit
- What is the micmac symbol?
A)the micmac moon
B)the micmac star
C)the micmac circle of life
D)the micmac sqare
- What is "bear" in micmac
- What is a "fast"?
A)eating for four days
B) praying with food and water for four days
C)praying for four days without food and water in honor of their body
D)dancing al day in the sun
- What is the micmac "Listiguj" river famous for?
- What was the name of the first person created?
B) all the micmac people
- What inspires the shawl dancers?
- What does the yellow center of the micmac star symbolizes?
B)the color of yellow
C)the cercle of life
D)the micmac star
- The red band represents?
A) the color of red
B)children's, grand parents , and parents, the first teacher
C)the cercle fo life
D)the sqare of life
- Who had seceeded in killing alonabola?
- How long had the Brittish held Accadia?
- How many micmaq had been sold into slavery?
- Where had the Brittishe setteled in (1620)?
d)None of the above
- Who had setteled in Jamestown?
- What did King James1 give to sir William alexander?
c) St Annes Capel
- What reserve has the alacsitew gitpu?
- What did the British do to Port Royal?
b)Curse at it
c)Try to flood it
d) Burn it down
- What was the figure that appeared in many micmaq legends?
d)Little big Horn
- What is tabaco normally used for?
- Who had turned the animals smaller in legends?
b)A Little boy
- What is the ensignia on the micmaq flag?
a)The micmaq moon
b)The micmaq star
c)The great eagle
d)The cross on its side with star and moon an either side
- What are the four colors of the micmaq cicle?
- What do people think Gluscape really is?
- What is the latin name for New Scotland?
- When the micmac hde the epidemices , how many died?
a)3 quaters of the micmac
b)1 quarter of the micmac
c)none of the micmac
d)all of the micmac
- Who was the micmac accompanied by when fort Wells was attacked?
- Who did the micmac help in the war?
- what was the population of the micmac remaining in 1620c.e from 35,000?
- Wich one of these are not where mikmak live?
- In the micmac pow wow who is not allowed to sit arond thedrum?
- what doesthe word micmac actualy mean?
- What how much of the micmac lost there langueg?
d)all of them
- where does the mikmak langueg come frome?
- Quil work is not mikmak.
- dream cathers are not micmak.
- what was the most common transportation used by the mikmak?
- when jaques cartier had dropped anchor in the chaleur bay, why did he fire the cannons?
a)to scare the mikmak away
b)by an accident
c)to kill the mikmak
d)a way of making friends
- who taught the mikmak hierogliphic charecters, english?
d)father chretien le clerq
- where did the men warriors of the sun dance get pierced?
- The Mi'gmaq language is mostly
- Sweet-grass and sage are very important to Mi'gmaq people.
- The Mi'gmaq language is mostly English.
- what did they use for clothing?
a. birch bark
d. fish skin
- What did they use to make baskets?
a. animal skin
- How did the children learn if there wasn't a school?
- How many days did the sun dancers dance?
- How many letters are in the mi'gmaq alphabet?
- What did they use to build their wigwams?
- How did they get across the rivers without getting wet?
- What color is the warroir flag?
b.green/black /orange /yllow
- Do you think the mi'gmaq life would be this way if we hadn't trade with the Europeens?
- Were there shopping malls back then?
- Did the mi'gmaq use guns while hunting?
- Did the mi'gmaq have a hospital back then?
- When was the scalping proclaiming made?
- When was the treaty of Chebucto Harbour Ratification made?
- What does the color "megweg" mean in english?
- What does the color "ewne'g" mean in english?
- What does "glousgap" really mean?
c. good man
d. bad woman
- What dos the color "wapimgwe'g" mean in english?
- Who was the frist chief in Restigouche?
a. Ronnie Jacques
b. Brenda Miller
c. Allison Metallic
d. Allison Barnaby
- What is the correct way of the Mi'qmaq alphabets?
a. a, b, c, d, g, i, j, k, l, m, w
b. b, c, g, j, k, l, m, n, o, w
c. a, c, g, k, l, n, z
d. a, e, g, i, j, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v
- How old did you have to be to get married 90 years ago?
- What does "qalipu" mean in english?
- What month is "Geptegewigu's" mean in english?
- Does "wapus" really mean a
- Was the legal age sixteen to get married years ago?
- What does "Alaqsitew Gitpu" mean in english?
a. flying eagle
b. bird sittin
c. crawling turtle
d. jumping cow
- What does Glooscap mean?
- Who is the creator of the micmac world?
D/ George paul
- What does the micmac flag have on it?
A/ cross, hand print
B/ cross, axe
C/ cross, animal
D/ cross, star, moon
- What does the word ''Tiam mean?
- What year is 'the pary of mohawk's story'' crated?
- What do they use to sing songs?
A/ drum, flute
- Who were the first people to walk on earth?
B/ Native Americain's
C/ French people
- What does the word Gitpu mean?
- Who invented the micmac honor song?
B/ Gorge Paul
C/ Kathy paul
- Why do Grassdancers dance first?
A/ bless and fltened ground
B/To flat the ground
D/ to impresse audience
- Is it true that the micmac and European's are friends?
- Is it true that Europeans traded guns for fur with the micmac?
- What color are the four directions?
A/ Green red blue purple
B/ white green blue purple
C/ red yellow black white
D/ green brown purple black
- What do micmac use for medicine?
C/ cider, tobacco
D/ milk cookies
- Were is Listuguj located?
- Did the Micmacs and the Europeans fish or hunt sepertly?
answer:no,they hunted together.
- What does a eagle of Micmacs do?
a) fly at Pow wows
b) make sounds
c) to make people fell healthy
answer : (A)
- Micmacs have a eagle feathers for what?
a) to honor their ancestors
b) make people think they could fly
c) to make eagle be with them to protect the people dancing
- Did the Micmacs travel all over the world in the 18th century?
- What are the colors of the Micmac star?
a) red white black and yellow
b) green silver brown
answer:red white black and yellow.
- Do you think the Micmacs only live in one place?
- Are the chief and counsils suppost to help the community they live in?
- Did the micmacs deside to do all the celbrations what other people do in America?
answer:no,its a diffrent counties and they cant have the same celbrations.
- do you know that there is 50 provinces were Micmacs live?
answer:yes because they could travel all over the world
- did the Micmacs creat the dream catcher?
answer:no,a guy invented it and he was english and that the Micmacs just honor the dream catchers
- Are Micmacs called other stuff like what?
answer:Miqmaq,Its the same as Micmac.
- did the Mic macs live over 500 years ago?
- does the Micmacs have a bomb to blow up the whole world?
- Witch state and how many Micmacs live in one population
answer:of a amount of 30.000 live in Canada
- in 1540 did french Breton fish off the cost of Micmacs?
- What are wigwams made of?
a) Sand and sticks
b) Logs and birch bark
c) Water and trees
d) Leather and metal
- Who is the micmac creator?
d) Don Burnstick
- What happens when a legend dies?
a) There are no more dreams
b) Every micmac dies
c) All of the above
Answer / A
- Who where the micmacs friends?
b) Red Indian
- What color represents black on the micmac star when medicine is involved?
Answer / C
- How many poles does it take to build a wigwam?
Answer / C
- Who did the micmacs make a trade with?
Answer / D
- How did the community Listuguj get it's name?
a) Mohawks voted the name
b) The grand chief Listo Gotj named it after himself
c) Glooscap invented a word for Restigouch
Answer / B
- Can females drum in a drum group?
- How was Glooscap created?
A) Water and sand
B) Lighting and water
C) Lightning and sand
D) Thunder and rain
Answer / C
- Who created the micmac honor song?
a) George Paul
b) Cathy Paul
c) Donald Smith
d) Ron Barnaby
Answer / A
- How many days sun dancers have to dance
a) 1 day
b) 2 days
c) 3 day
d) 4 day
Answer / D
- Who is an Aboriginal Comedian?
b) Don Burnstick
c) Ronlad Johnson
d) Burnie Mac
Answer / B
- What direction do micmacs come from?
Answer / A
- What does Listuguj mean?
a) Obey your father
b) Do not obey your father
c) Obey your mother
d) Do not obey your mother
Answer / B
Ineligible for Individual Award
Return to Contest Entries