It may be useful to print these instructions so that you have a hard copy reference during the installation and uploading processes.
These instructions come in two parts:
1. Downloading and installing WS_FTP LE * note: this step can be skipped if you already have an FTP client
2. Uploading Family Tree Maker files to our server
Should you require more assistance, contact us by email: email@example.com or telephone: 1-877-484-7606 or 902-567-0842.
Downloading and installing WS_FTP LE
Go to www.ftpplanet.com/download.htm
Choose the "Download the WS_FTP LE" English option.
Uncheck the two check-boxes beneath it, enter your email address and click on the "Download Now!" button.
After a short while, a download dialogue box will show up on the screen. It may ask you if you want to save the file, or open it. Choose to open the file, if the option is available; otherwise choose to save it.
If you save it: save it to a place on your computer that you are sure to be able to find it, such as the desktop (you can delete or move the file later), after the download completes, double click on the file.
A few questions will be asked of you before the installation begins:
- Be sure to answer that you are "A student, faculty member, or staff member of an educational institution," and that you will be using the program from school, for academic purposes.
- Agree to the End User License Agreement, you may read over this if you choose to, or print it if you have a printer installed on your computer.
- Choose to install with the defaults directories (just click "OK" or "Next").
- Installation will now begin. After it is completed, you may be asked to restart your computer; do so, if you are prompted to.
Uploading Family Tree Maker files to our server
After completion of the installation, open up WS_FTP LE from your desktop.
When the Session Properties box appears, click on the "New" button, and enter the fields to match the following:
Profile Name: family tree
Host Name/Address: firstnationhelp.com
Host Type: Automatic Detect
User ID: transfer
Hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
You may be asked to enter the password again, which is piskwa, do so and hit the Enter key again.
Once connected, notice that the left pane shows files on your computer, the right pane shows files on our server.
- In the right pane, double click on the folder that corresponds to your community or school name. All you should see now in the right pane is a little green arrow pointing up.
- In the left pane, just below where it says "Local System," type c:\FTW and hit enter.
Click once (don't double-click) on the file ending in ".FTW" (not Lincoln.FTW) so that it is highlighted, if you have more than one FTW file, not including Lincoln.FTW, hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and click on each FTW file. After all FTW files are selected, click on the arrow pointing to the right. This will begin the uploading of your Family Tree Maker files to our server. It can be a lengthy process over a dial-up connection.
When the upload is complete, you will be notified with a sound. Simply click on the "Exit" button to end the FTP session after the upload is complete.
If any problems are encountered, please contact Atlantic Canada's First Nation Help Desk by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone: 1-877-484-7606 or 902-567-0842.
Return to Home Page